ick, things that your dog should not eat

I like to eat. When my mum leaves I sneak around the house and try to find food that was left out. Sometimes I just move the food around the house to other rooms but on some occasions I eat it.
Sometimes there are things out that I shouldn’t eat, but not all dogs know what is good and what is wrong, luckily for you I do.

You should be extra careful during this time of year, as not all of your holiday guests are aware of what could make your four-legged best friend sick, and you don’t want to spent the holidays (or anytime, really) with them in the vets office all alone.

If you see your pet eating a possibly poisonous substance, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA poison control center (888-426-4435), there is a fee to talk to the poison control center so be prepared to use your credit card. Keep in mind that sometimes pet may not exhibit signs of poisoning for hours or days after contact with the poison. Early intervention could help save your pets life.

Dogs are more likely to eat a poisonous item, since cats are so picky. But cats seem to have a weakness and love of antifreeze!

Below a small list of some things that are not good for us dogs to eat:

Antifreeze- Lethal dose is 1/2 teaspoon per pound of dog.

Avocado- More dangerous for bird, rabbits, and mice but dangerous to us dogs and my cat friends . Avocados contain a toxin known as persin and should be kept away from all pets.

Alcohol- It likes to make an appearance at the holiday parties, just dont let anyone feed it to the pets! Causes intoxication, coma, and death. Keep it away from us, more for you.

Chocolate- Most people know that pets and chocolate do not mix. Darker chocolate is more toxic for pets than milk and white chocolate. The lethal amount of milk chocolate for a 30lb dog is 2lbs of chocolate, while it is 3.25 ozs of 100% dark chocolate.

Christmas Tree Water- this water is filled with preservatives which can cause an upset stomach. When the water is allowed to stand bacteria grows, which if ingested, could leas to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Coffee/coffee grounds- I ingested can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, and even death.

Macadamia Nuts – Can affect the digestive and nervous system, and muscles.

Nicotine – Can cause paralysis of the breathing muscles, and your dog could die from the inability to breathe. Toxic level is 5 milligrams on nicotine per pound of body weight.

Xyliltol – If we eat items sweetened with xylitol we could develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. These symptoms could develop as much as 12 hours later!

help us, bark about it....
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Tumblr0Share on Reddit0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0

  One Reply to “ick, things that your dog should not eat”

  1. January 10, 2011 at 5:37 am

    What a great resource!

Leave a Reply